Our School - Gardens
The Donald School & community has always been very proud of its school grounds. It has been used throughout history as a great gathering place, a site of countless school fetes, building openings, weddings and a relaxing place to sit in the hot summer days.
July 13th 1883: ‘Under the guidance of Mr Dial the Head Teacher (Principal), the children of our Donald State School have succeeded within the last few days, in planting 120 trees around the boundary of the school reserve. The ground had previously been carefully prepared for their reception by the same willing hands. Donald Times
Moving on from the hard work of Mr Dial in the late 1880’s the school garden program expanded with dedicated school councils in the 70’s & 80’s planting numerous native trees in and around Donald and on local farms and parklands. The dedicated work of the late George Stebbins, a former school principal and his great friend Ron Falla, along with current day teachers Paul Matters and Jan Bird lead the way.
The School to this day is very proud of its place in the community and especially the school grounds. The school has been the winner of major gardens throughout its history achieving great successes in state school awards in: 1925, 1931, 1966, 1974, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1995-1997 and 2005.
The school has once again entered the awards in 2014 after major garden renovations over the past 2 years which have included the new playgrounds, the ‘Ron Falla Field,’ numerous new garden beds, the ‘Junkyard’ and the ‘Bush School’ Block.
In 2007 the school also became one of 20 schools selected from across Victoria to be a foundation member of the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program. The school vegetable garden is now named after one of Donald’s most famous citizens Georgie Ah Ling. Students ‘Grow, Harvest, Share & Prepare’ healthy food with classmates weekly in the school kitchen.